Skip to main content

Grateful Dead Live at Henry J Kaiser Convention Center on 1989-02-06

Audio Preview

etree
Grateful Dead Live at Henry J Kaiser Convention Center on 1989-02-06

Set 1

Beer Barrel Polka, Not Fade Away, Sugaree> Wang Dang Doodle, Jack A Roe, Queen Jane Approximately, Brown Eyed Women, Cassidy-> Tennessee Jed

Set 2

Hell In A Bucket-> Scarlet Begonias-> Looks Like Rain-> Terrapin Station-> Jam*-> Drums**-> Jam-> The Other One-> Stella Blue-> Turn On Your Love Light, E: Black Muddy River

*Phil & Brent jam **Dragon Parade

Collection GratefulDead
Band/Artist Grateful Dead
Venue Henry J Kaiser Convention Center
Location Oakland, CA

Source SBD -> Cassette Master (Sony TC-D5M/Maxell MX90/Dolby B)
Lineage Master Cassette (Nakamichi DR-1/Dolby B) -> Sound Devices 744T (24bit/48k) -> Samplitude Professional v11.03 -> FLAC/16
Taped by Joani Walker and Paul Scotton
Transferred by Charlie Miller

comment
Reviews

Reviewer: c-freedom - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 6, 2016
Subject: Gung Ho Fat Chow!
Wow, they come storming out of the gate here.
N.F.A>SUGAREE>WANG DANG DOODLE
Brent up in the mix!
Love the end of Wang Dang.
This would be the Chinese year of the Snake.
It was a pretty good year for the band.
year(s) of the Snake 65/77/89

Jack A Roe- great tune but a tad muddy here.
Jerry has a lyric malfunction.(No harm done)
One of the prettier tunes in the catalog.
And really not a ballad has that nice clip.

A super brief few seconds of SPACE> Queen Jane
-much maligned but really a pretty tune
Garcia nice backing vocals to start.
The less Bobby tries to sound nasal
like Dylan the better for this song.

B.E. Woman-Always one of my favorites!
Jerry is strumming it way in advance here.
Brent in there singing with Garcia.

Jack A Roe, Queen Jane, B.E. Woman
create a good mellow vibe.

Cassidy-The shorter non-exploratory version
"Blow the horn and tap the tambourine"

Tenn Jed-for Chinese New Year? Sure, why not.
Probably a 4 for this 1st set

The encore placed in between sets throws off the track labeling.
Black Muddy was killed in the encore slot.

Bucket-I have to say this tune actually stands up better than Throwing Stones for me.
It has a biting edge that is still fresh today.
Good to hear Phil!!! a tad muddy with all that Rhythm section and Brent on Organ.
>SCARLET-Keep hearing a MIDI effect like a horn.
If BUCKET somewhat bitter,Scarlet is always SWEET
"One of these days, you can get shown the light"
The band seems pretty wound up, almost like Garcia stretches vocals to slow it down a little.
The SCARLET jam has a lot going on including PHIL
>Looks Like Rain- slows it down like an anchor.
>TERRAPIN STATION-Garcia gives it due diligence.
"The whistle is screaming..."
>CHINESE NEW YEAR
Did this one year in China Town in N.Y.C pretty crazy. Not for the faint of heart!
Good SPACE some of my favorite stuff here.
Not all cluttered and can hear what is played.
>Other ONE->Stella>Lovelight!

Reviewer: njpg - favoritefavoritefavorite - February 7, 2012
Subject: Sadly,
the tracks are mislabeled. Pretty good show, though, and great recording.
info Stream Only
Stream playlist
( VBR )
In Collection
Grateful Dead
In Collection
Live Music Archive
Uploaded by
Matthew Vernon
on 4/19/2010
5,285
Favorites
SIMILAR ITEMS (based on metadata)
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
etree
eye 10,050
favorite 9
comment 3
favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 3 reviews )
Source: SBD -> Cassette Master (TDK MA-XG90)
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
etree
eye 2,835
favorite 5
comment 2
favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 2 reviews )
Source: SBD -> Cassette Master (Sony TC-D5M/TDK MA-X90/Dolby B)
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
etree
eye 5,961
favorite 12
comment 5
favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 5 reviews )
Source: SBD -> Cassette Master (TDK MA-X90) D
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
etree
eye 1,761
favorite 2
comment 0
Source: SBD -> Cassette Master (Sony TC-D5M/Maxell MX90/Dolby B)
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
etree
eye 3,134
favorite 2
comment 3
favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 3 reviews )
Source: SBD -> Cassette Master (Sony TC-D5M/Maxell MX90/Dolby B)
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
etree
eye 6,116
favorite 5
comment 3
favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 3 reviews )
Source: SBD -> Cassette Master (TDK MA-XG90) D
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
etree
eye 3,770
favorite 3
comment 5
favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 5 reviews )
Source: SBD -> Cassette Master (Sony D5/Dolby B/TDK MA-R90)
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
etree
eye 1,374
favorite 1
comment 0
Source: SBD -> Cassette Master (Sony D5/Dolby B/TDK MA-R90)
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
etree
eye 7,737
favorite 20
comment 5
favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 5 reviews )
Source: SBD -> Cassette Master (Nakamichi 550/Maxell XLIIS-90)
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
etree
eye 2,451
favorite 3
comment 3
favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 3 reviews )
Source: SBD -> Cassette Master (Sony D5/Maxell XLIIS-90)